What was once the preserve of utopian sci-fi movies, is rapidly becoming as mainstream as iPhones, or Netflix. Gardeners all over the world are ditching their traditional lawnmowers, and entrusting their green spaces to robotic lawn mowers that do most of the work for them.
There’s not a massive amount of work to get a robotic lawn mower up and running either, simply plug the charging station in, set the boundaries of your lawn and let the machine take care of the rest. Most robot grass cutters also “re-dock” themselves when they’ve finished working, or need to re-charge.
The Ultimate Guide to Picking The Best Robotic Lawn Mowers
Are you keen on gardening but traditional lawn mowers do not seem to be ideal enough for your situation anymore? Well, there is this robotic lawn mowers range available in the market nowadays which can make life a lot easier for you. If you have a larger mowing area and its always been a hassle for you using traditional lawn mowers that required more effort from your part, then consider that to be a thing of the past as there is better stuff available now in the form of robotic lawn mowers.
When the season falls, every household engages in gardening at all levels. While some may simply be after a way to make their gardens and lawns appear tidy and decent, others would want to take things to a whole new level by beautifying their lawn and backyards which they could use to spend most of their time at. Whatever your situation, robotic lawnmowers would perfectly suit your needs.
Don’t I Need a Square Garden For The Best Robotic Lawn Mowers?
There was a time when robotic lawnmowers couldn’t cope with anything other than a square (and flat) patch of garden. Thankfully, many of today’s lawnmowers can cope with everything from curves, gradients and oddly shaped lawns. They can also cope with obstacles within the lawn, like hedges or raised flower beds. Modern robotic lawn mowers also have the capacity to evenly mulch and spread the clippings back into the lawn, meaning less waste.
What Can I Get for My Money?
- 18 v 1.6 Ah Lithium-ion Battery. Maximum incline within the working area: 14 °, Cutting width: 17 cm, Cutting height max: 50 mm, Cutting height: min: 20 mm.
- Working area 400 m2 +/- 20%
- Area Capacity 30 m2/hr
- Navigation system - irregular
- Charging system - automatic
- 280m² working area suitable for city gardens
- iRadar -Active Safety Ultrasonic Sensor technology, the most advanced feature in robotic mowing
- Brushless Motor with 20V Lithium-Ion Samsung battery and 16cm cutting width
- 3 easily adjustable cutting heights ranging from 20-55mm
- Rain sensor enables Compact 280R to go back to the charging station automatically
- With automated working and charging cycle, swift RM18 robotic mower will give you the perfect lawn and more time with the family by liberating you from lawn care work.
- Excellent and affordable choice to experience modern robotics on your regular sized garden of up to 600m². With bumping sensor and treaded wheel driven by strong motors, it can conquer all obstacles and gradient up to 35% (20°).
- Intuitive and straight forward interface to personalize your mowing settings.
- PIN Code for theft protection; stepless and easy cutting adjustment dialer.
- With more than 10 years engineering experiences in garden industry and tip top components enables RM18 to work without breaking the tranquility of your garden. It takes care of your lawn unnoticed while you enjoy your life.
- EASY TO INSTALL - Easy one-time set-up of boundary wire, charging station and robot mower with fully comprehensive step-by-step instructions.
- LOW MAINTENANCE - Once set up, the L10 operates automatically each day without the need for an app, charges itself and is so quiet you might even forget it's there.
- SOLID & RELIABLE - Well-built robot lawn mower from a brand you can trust, the L10 is tough, durable, IPX5 rated to be fully waterproof and comes with a 2 year manufacturer's warranty.
- HIGH PERFORMING - The L10's mulching action returns tiny grass clippings and nutrients to the lawn, so your grass will look healthier, weeds will struggle to grow and there are no grass cuttings to dispose of.
- SAFETY & SECURITY - Lift, tilt & bump sensors stop the blades immediately if the mower is picked up or bumps into objects and it has PIN code protection to prevent unauthorised use.
- Lawn shield is the intelligent adaptive cutting system which automatically changes mowing schedule based on lawn growth Preventing wear on the lawn
- The Flexible charging station position gives you the freedom to position the charging station almost anywhere you like around the edge of the lawn
- Guide wire techonology improves navigation in complex gardens for a more even finish and intelligently helps Rob to find his way home without leaving unwanted tracks
- Installation made easy thanks to Rob's simple set-up wizard quickly guiding you through initial installation step by step
- The Rob S has quick keypad navigation Intuitive keypad controls give immediate access to functions such as Return Home Cutting Schedule and Special Mowing programs
- 650m² working area suitable for mid-size gardens
- Manoeuvrable, effortless & easy set up
- Brushless Motor with 28V lithium-ion Samsung battery and 18cm cutting width
- Sharp blades create mulching for a healthier looking lawn, variable cutting heights ranging 20-60mm
- Built-in lift, obstacle, turnover & tilt sensors
- Ideal for small gardens up to 260m²
- 20V 2Ah Lithium-Ion battery and 16cm cutting width
- Mow on-demand technology allows to save energy and adjust the cutting performance while mowing
- Sharp blades create mulching for a healthier looking lawn, variable cutting heights ranging 20-55mm
- Edge trimming function to keep the garden clean and tidy
- Fully automatic solution: The Gardena smart app enables you to control the mowing of mid-sized lawn areas (up to 750 m sq) with your fingertip
- Flexible fit: The large collar in the middle can be individually adjusted to various diameters
- Easy cleaning and storage: The mat can be folded up after use to save space and stowed in its storage bag
- Effortless work: The four carrying handles on the sides facilitate transport and emptying of the mat
- Scope of delivery includes: 1 x Gardena smart SILENO life, 1 x smart Gateway, 1 x 200 m boundary wire, 300 x hooks, 4 x couplers, 5 x connectors
- Connection using the app: The robotic lawnmower is easy to handle and access from anywhere using the Bosch Smart Gardening App
- Efficient and compact: Mow up to three lawn areas if they all add up to 350 Sq m
- Handling obstacles while mowing: Indego S+ 350 uses artificial intelligence to ensure Indego can easily manoeuvre around obstacles in the garden
- Logical and systematic mowing: Indego knows where it has been and where it needs to go thus providing quick and efficient mowing thanks to the intelligent LogiCut navigation system
- Mow according to weather conditions: Indego considers local weather conditions and avoids rain creating the best possible schedule for the lawn
- 400 sq m working area suitable for city gardens
- iRadar - Active Safety Ultrasonic Sensor Technology, the most advanced feature in robotic mowing
- App control - intelligent technology enables control from any location
- Brushless Motor with 20 V Lithium-Ion Samsung battery and 16cm cutting width
- Sharp blades create mulching for a healthier looking lawn, variable cutting heights ranging 20-55 mm
- 400m² working area suitable for city gardens
- Active safety ultrasonic sensor technology - the most advanced feature in robotic mowing
- App control - intelligent technology gives you control from wherever you are
- Sharp blades create mulching for a healthier looking lawn, 3 cutting height 20-55mm
- Built-in lift, obstacle, turnover & tilt sensors
- 400m² working area suitable for city gardens
- Active Safety Ultrasonic Sensor Technology - the most advanced feature in robotic mowing
- 20V lithium-ion Samsung battery and 16cm cutting width
- Easily adjustable 3 cutting heights ranging from 20-55mm
- Additional protection with built-in sensors: lift, obstacle, turnover, radar and rain
- 👩🏼🌾 LESS WORK - MORE JOY - Long lasting effect and peace of mind! Our “no surge growth” formula makes your lawn much easier to maintain and even allows for the use of robotic lawnmowers! Our product works perfectly throughout all active seasons; Spring, Summer & Autumn. Extra Magnesium will make the photosynthesis much more efficient and in turn cause the grass to be more lush, thicker & have a richer color.
- 💧 WATER IS ESSENTIAL - No water = no results! Please ensure that your lawn is sufficiently watered after the application of our All Season Lawn Feed, so the controlled release fertilizer is activated. 🌱 For optimal results mow up to twice weekly and apply the grass feed every 90 days. For your very own Premier League football pitch look!
- 🐶 CHILD & PET SAFE - ODOR FREE - Children and pets are safe to play on the lawn even immediately after applying our fertilizer. There’s no unpleasant smell or concerns like with cheaper products. On top of that your lawn will become less susceptible to wear and tear or common natural diseases. ♻️ All of our pouches and buckets are resealable. Keeps the moisture out and ensures the high quality of our granules!
- 💡 EASY APPLICATION - High quality granules allow for instant application without the need to mix the product in water or require any additional preparation. This makes our lawn feed very easy to apply. Simply follow the step by step instructions on the packaging! 🔥 No more worries about scorching your lawn or turning your lawn yellow! Unless you triple the dosing it’s almost impossible to overdose!
- 🔒 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - If at any point - for whatever reason - you’re unhappy with our All Season Lawn Feed, don’t hesitate to contact us! We’ll either refund you in full or work with you until you’re happy! Beyond Amazons regular return window and even if you already used our products! Just message us and we’ll take good care of you!
- Rain Sensor: Sunny weather is perfect for lawn mowing, so our mower will go back to the charging station when it rains, and restart when it stops
- Collision Sensor: It enables our mower to detect the obstacles while working to avoid barrier
- Automatic Recharge: The mower will go back to charging station when battery is low
- Lift & Tilt Sensor: The mower will stop working when lifted or tilted
- Anti-theft Security System: Users can set the PIN code to prevent the mower from stealing
- Polycarbonate carport for your robotic lawnmower
- Provides protection from rain, hail and UV rays
- Shelter enough space for all types of robotic lawnmowers and charging stations
- The carport can be mounted on your lawn or alternatively on a (for example) paved yard
- Dimensions: 80 X 53 X 29 CM
- A comprehensive starter set for smart lawn care and garden irrigation
- Flexible and demand-based irrigation thanks to smart Water Control and smart Sensor
- An ideally manicured carpet of grass thanks to Gardena smart Sileno city
- Includes smart Sileno city Robotic Lawnmower, smart Water Control, smart Sensor, smart Gateway
- Includes: 1 x Gardena smart Sileno city, 1 x smart Water Control, 1 x smart Sensor, 1 x smart Gateway (allows all Gardena smart system products to connect securely using proven wireless technology)
- Protection: Carport keeps out rain, hail, UV-protection and other threats
- Robust: Sturdy iron frame - Roof made of shatterproof polycarbonate - Aluminium edge protection
- Secure: 4 Garden pegs for fastening on lawn or paved surfaces in the yard
- Practical: 46 cm Height to be suitable for all standard automatic lawnmowers - Room for charging station
- Weatherproof: Weatherproof materials for stability and durability
- Best Robotic Lawnmower For Smaller Lawns
The cheapest robotic lawn mowers come in at a shade under £1000. For that, you’ll be in the market for something like the Robomow RS635, which can keep 500 square meters of lawn trimmed to perfection. Other robotic lawn mowers fall into this price bracket too, such as the Flymo Robotic Lawnmower 1200 R, an extremely quiet robotic mower that you won’t mind working away in the middle of the night. Run time of this mower is 65 minutes, and takes 50 to charge to full again.
At this price level, you’ll do without some features, and your mower might not be able to cope with huge gradients; however, for small and standard lawns they’ll work fine.
- Best Robotic Lawnmower For Medium Lawns
Moving up in terms of cost, you can pick up the Bosch Indego 400 Connect for about £1050. It doesn’t have the running time or capacity of the Flymo, yet it offers some clever features like an iPhone App to track its progress, plus parallel blades and section mowing.
If you’re paying more money to gain additional capacity, then the Worx Landroid M 800 is worth a look. It takes a bit of setting up, yet once done it boasts a working capacity of 800 square meters, and can manage gradients as high as 35%. It also comes with some helpful features that allow it to bypass narrow paths, and tell the difference between your front and back garden. It also understands when it’s nearly out of battery, and will duly return to its station for a top up.
If you live in a dry climate, and need to keep your lawn watered via sprinklers, then the Gardena Smart Sileno+ could be for you. This robotic mower can cut 1300 square meters at a time, has a runtime of just over an hour, plus it can tackle gradients of 35%.
This robot mower can communicate with Gardena Smart Sprinklers, allowing the lawnmower to cut your grass when the sprinklers are not on. It’s also smart enough to tackle oddly shaped lawns and complex areas where it will need to navigate carefully.
You’ll pay a bit more for all this functionality, it will set you back just over £2000.
- Best Robotic Lawnmower For Large Lawns
At the higher end of the price range, things become eye wateringly expensive! The Husqvarna Automower 450X, can mow an outrageous 5000 square meters of lawn, plus it boasts an epic 260 minutes run time. Of course, you’ll pay for all this capacity, literally in this case because it costs over £4000.
Still, the fact it can cope with 45% gradients, has a huge range and is extremely well put together, should see it mowing many expensive suburban homes.
To compete with the Automower 450X, the Ambrogio L300 Elite R, not only sounds like something Ferrari might make, it looks the part too. With a maximum capacity of 6000 square meters, 5-10 hours runtime and a host of rather fancy features for the larger home, it’s certainly aimed at those with large homes (and larger pockets). Once again, you’ll pay upwards of £3000 for one of these.
Best Robotic Lawnmowers – Top 10 Best Sellers
Anti-theft Measures for Robotic Lawn Mowers?
Right now, robotic lawn mowers aren’t nearly as popular as traditional ones; however, that will change over the next 5-years, making one of these grass munchers a prized target for thieves.
Some manufacturers are already taking this seriously, by adding pin codes and features to “lock out” the robotic mower once it realizes it’s been stolen; however, many models on the market aren’t protected nearly as well.
Our advice, would be to only consider a robotic lawnmower in a garden that’s protected from opportunistic thieves. Just as with car theft, it mostly occurs when an opportunity arises for a thief to grab something valuable quickly; it makes sense keep your robot lawnmower safe in a similar way.
- Use a robot lawnmower in a garden not easily viewed from public roads/paths.
- Keep your garden gates locked at all times.
- Follow good garden security rules in general, they’ll help your home stay safe too.
Normally, we would also advise bringing your mower inside when going on holiday; however, this defeats the purpose of having a robot take care of things whilst you’re away. In this case, we would suggest having a friend, neighbor or relative keep track of your mower, and to check nobody has been attempting to access the garden in your absence.
Best Robotic Lawnmowers: What About Child Safety?
This is one area where manufacturers have focused on hugely as far as robotic lawnmowers are concerned. Almost every lawnmower on the market today has safety sensors on board that halt the mower if it senses movement. Some models also have an on-board siren that alerts those around when it’s due to start mowing.
Of course, nothing beats old fashioned teaching when it comes to safety, so our advice would be to teach your children to stay clear of the mower when it’s in operation. It’s also worth setting your mower to come on during the evening, as many are so quiet you’ll hardly be able to hear it.