What was once the preserve of utopian sci-fi movies, is rapidly becoming as mainstream as iPhones, or Netflix. Gardeners all over the world are ditching their traditional lawnmowers, and entrusting their green spaces to robotic lawn mowers that do most of the work for them.
There’s not a massive amount of work to get a robotic lawn mower up and running either, simply plug the charging station in, set the boundaries of your lawn and let the machine take care of the rest. Most robot grass cutters also “re-dock” themselves when they’ve finished working, or need to re-charge.
The Ultimate Guide to Picking The Best Robotic Lawn Mowers *
Are you keen on gardening but traditional lawn mowers do not seem to be ideal enough for your situation anymore? Well, there is this robotic lawn mowers range available in the market nowadays which can make life a lot easier for you. If you have a larger mowing area and its always been a hassle for you using traditional lawn mowers that required more effort from your part, then consider that to be a thing of the past as there is better stuff available now in the form of robotic lawn mowers.
When the season falls, every household engages in gardening at all levels. While some may simply be after a way to make their gardens and lawns appear tidy and decent, others would want to take things to a whole new level by beautifying their lawn and backyards which they could use to spend most of their time at. Whatever your situation, robotic lawnmowers would perfectly suit your needs.
Don’t I Need a Square Garden For The Best Robotic Lawn Mowers? *
There was a time when robotic lawnmowers couldn’t cope with anything other than a square (and flat) patch of garden. Thankfully, many of today’s lawnmowers can cope with everything from curves, gradients and oddly shaped lawns. They can also cope with obstacles within the lawn, like hedges or raised flower beds. Modern robotic lawn mowers also have the capacity to evenly mulch and spread the clippings back into the lawn, meaning less waste.
What Can I Get for My Money? *
- 18 v 1.6 Ah Lithium-ion Battery. Maximum incline within the working area: 14 °, Cutting width: 17 cm, Cutting height max: 50 mm, Cutting height: min: 20 mm.
- Working area 400 m2 +/- 20%
- Area Capacity 30 m2/hr
- Navigation system - irregular
- Charging system - automatic
- Ideal for gardens up to 1000 sq m, the ROB R1000 is a fully automatic robotic lawnmower
- Easy to install and program
- When the battery is low, ROB finds its way back to the docking station to recharge
- Working area capacity: Up to 1000 sq m
- Cutting Height, minimum-maximum: 20-50 mm
- Manoeuvrable, effortless & easy set up
- 500m² working area. No load Speed: 3500 RPM
- Powered by 28V Samsung lithium-ion 2Ah battery
- Easily adjustable 5 cutting heights ranging from 20-60mm
- Lift sensor, obstacle sensor, turnover sensor, tilt sensor
- 280m² working area suitable for city gardens
- iRadar -Active Safety Ultrasonic Sensor technology, the most advanced feature in robotic mowing
- Brushless Motor with 20V Lithium-Ion Samsung battery and 16cm cutting width
- 3 easily adjustable cutting heights ranging from 20-55mm
- Rain sensor enables Compact 280R to go back to the charging station automatically
- Perfect for smaller gardens up to 300m2
- Intelligent. Smart auto scheduling
- Aia technology. Agile and faster than others.
- Configurable to your needs. Choose from five unique options
- WORX power Share. Android can share its battery with all WORX 20V cordless tools.
- Ideal for medium-sized lawns and complex gardens up to 1250 sq m
- An ideally manicured lawn: The high-precision blades ensure clean cutting of the grass
- Simple to clean with a garden hose
- Extremely quiet thanks to Silent Drive motors
- Program wizard guides you through the intuitive menu
- 400m² working area suitable for city gardens
- Active Safety Ultrasonic Sensor Technology - the most advanced feature in robotic mowing
- 20V lithium-ion Samsung battery and 16cm cutting width
- Easily adjustable 3 cutting heights ranging from 20-55mm
- Additional protection with built-in sensors: lift, obstacle, turnover
- Connection using the app: The robotic lawnmower is easy to handle and access from anywhere using the Bosch Smart Gardening App
- Efficient and compact: Mow up to three lawn areas if they all add up to 350 Sq m
- Handling obstacles while mowing: Indego S+ 350 uses artificial intelligence to ensure Indego can easily manoeuvre around obstacles in the garden
- Logical and systematic mowing: Indego knows where it has been and where it needs to go thus providing quick and efficient mowing thanks to the intelligent LogiCut navigation system
- Mow according to weather conditions: Indego considers local weather conditions and avoids rain creating the best possible schedule for the lawn
- Cuts lawns up to 1000 square metre with inclines up to 25%
- Robotic lawnmower is easy to install and program, a boundary wire defines the area for every garden type
- Cuts the grass into small clippings naturally feeding the Lawn as it goes
- Works by mowing in a Random pattern, whatever the garden shape so that all parts are always covered
- Comes with two wired transformers; one with a UK plug and one with an EU plug. Easy to connect the plug type you need.
- 400m² working area suitable for city gardens
- Active safety ultrasonic sensor technology - the most advanced feature in robotic mowing
- App control - intelligent technology gives you control from wherever you are
- Sharp blades create mulching for a healthier looking lawn, 3 cutting height 20-55mm
- Built-in lift, obstacle, turnover & tilt sensors
- Best Robotic Lawnmower For Smaller Lawns
The cheapest robotic lawn mowers come in at a shade under £1000. For that, you’ll be in the market for something like the Robomow RS635, which can keep 500 square meters of lawn trimmed to perfection. Other robotic lawn mowers fall into this price bracket too, such as the Flymo Robotic Lawnmower 1200 R, an extremely quiet robotic mower that you won’t mind working away in the middle of the night. Run time of this mower is 65 minutes, and takes 50 to charge to full again.
At this price level, you’ll do without some features, and your mower might not be able to cope with huge gradients; however, for small and standard lawns they’ll work fine.
- Best Robotic Lawnmower For Medium Lawns
Moving up in terms of cost, you can pick up the Bosch Indego 400 Connect for about £1050. It doesn’t have the running time or capacity of the Flymo, yet it offers some clever features like an iPhone App to track its progress, plus parallel blades and section mowing.
If you’re paying more money to gain additional capacity, then the Worx Landroid M 800 is worth a look. It takes a bit of setting up, yet once done it boasts a working capacity of 800 square meters, and can manage gradients as high as 35%. It also comes with some helpful features that allow it to bypass narrow paths, and tell the difference between your front and back garden. It also understands when it’s nearly out of battery, and will duly return to its station for a top up.
If you live in a dry climate, and need to keep your lawn watered via sprinklers, then the Gardena Smart Sileno+ could be for you. This robotic mower can cut 1300 square meters at a time, has a runtime of just over an hour, plus it can tackle gradients of 35%.
This robot mower can communicate with Gardena Smart Sprinklers, allowing the lawnmower to cut your grass when the sprinklers are not on. It’s also smart enough to tackle oddly shaped lawns and complex areas where it will need to navigate carefully.
You’ll pay a bit more for all this functionality, it will set you back just over £2000.
- Best Robotic Lawnmower For Large Lawns
At the higher end of the price range, things become eye wateringly expensive! The Husqvarna Automower 450X, can mow an outrageous 5000 square meters of lawn, plus it boasts an epic 260 minutes run time. Of course, you’ll pay for all this capacity, literally in this case because it costs over £4000.
Still, the fact it can cope with 45% gradients, has a huge range and is extremely well put together, should see it mowing many expensive suburban homes.
To compete with the Automower 450X, the Ambrogio L300 Elite R, not only sounds like something Ferrari might make, it looks the part too. With a maximum capacity of 6000 square meters, 5-10 hours runtime and a host of rather fancy features for the larger home, it’s certainly aimed at those with large homes (and larger pockets). Once again, you’ll pay upwards of £3000 for one of these.
Best Robotic Lawnmowers – Top 10 Best Sellers *
Anti-theft Measures for Robotic Lawn Mowers? *
Right now, robotic lawn mowers aren’t nearly as popular as traditional ones; however, that will change over the next 5-years, making one of these grass munchers a prized target for thieves.
Some manufacturers are already taking this seriously, by adding pin codes and features to “lock out” the robotic mower once it realizes it’s been stolen; however, many models on the market aren’t protected nearly as well.
Our advice, would be to only consider a robotic lawnmower in a garden that’s protected from opportunistic thieves. Just as with car theft, it mostly occurs when an opportunity arises for a thief to grab something valuable quickly; it makes sense keep your robot lawnmower safe in a similar way.
- Use a robot lawnmower in a garden not easily viewed from public roads/paths.
- Keep your garden gates locked at all times.
- Follow good garden security rules in general, they’ll help your home stay safe too.
Normally, we would also advise bringing your mower inside when going on holiday; however, this defeats the purpose of having a robot take care of things whilst you’re away. In this case, we would suggest having a friend, neighbor or relative keep track of your mower, and to check nobody has been attempting to access the garden in your absence.
Best Robotic Lawnmowers: What About Child Safety? *
This is one area where manufacturers have focused on hugely as far as robotic lawnmowers are concerned. Almost every lawnmower on the market today has safety sensors on board that halt the mower if it senses movement. Some models also have an on-board siren that alerts those around when it’s due to start mowing.
Of course, nothing beats old fashioned teaching when it comes to safety, so our advice would be to teach your children to stay clear of the mower when it’s in operation. It’s also worth setting your mower to come on during the evening, as many are so quiet you’ll hardly be able to hear it.